Wednesday, April 10, 2024

NTS&B Some More New Shelves

 I keep running out of storage space, so needed to add some more shelves.  The shelves keep getting closer and closer together.  Here they are start to finish.





After clearing the stuff off the walls, I discovered that the shelf brackets I used had to be reversed (of course), so here is the final result









Using a router, I notched the full length of each 1x4 shelf for the train wheels, instead of using track.




 


I was actually making 3 set of shelves.  1 set was about 5 foot wide and from floor to the bottom of the ceiling loop.  The other 2 were about 3 feet wide to fit under the layout. After painting the sides and shelves,  I cut the boards to the desired lengths and assembled them.







I installed a hardboard backing, so the shelves would be free standing.

I had to make a couple cuts for the shelf bracket on top, and an outlet in the lower shelf.  After positioning the unit, it only.  After setting it in position, it only required a screw in each side on top to hold it sturdily to the wall.



The remaining pieces of the boards were used to make 2 small units under the layout. Each top shelf was made using 2 shelves together to make an 8 inch shelf.  This allowed me to display cabooses and tenders at an angle, greatly improving display space.


No comments: