Sunday, May 6, 2012

NTS&B Caboose/Search Light Project cars

While at the York Spring Eastern Division TCA show in April, I picked up a broken, filthy 2357 caboose for $2 to use the trucks on another project car (depressed center flat car) I had going..  Then  I found a short spotlight load, that looked like it would fit perfectly on a caboose frame, do decided to use the caboose frame for that, and bought a couple extra trucks for the flat car. .  When I got it home, the caboose chassis cleaned up so good, that I decided to use it on a nice 6017 caboose.I had (unlit) that Jen had bought me for a birthday present, then use the unlit chassis for the search light. Now the 6017 is lit, has a smokestack, chimney,  ladder, windows, and tool boxes, and looks sharp


After several missteps, I finally came up with the right combination of trucks and power picks for the search light.  The 6017 had plastic trucks, so the power pickups I had purchased wouldn't work.  I purchased some modern power pickups, and discovered they wouldn't work on the 1960s model caboose trucks. I then swapped the trucks with a 9020 flat car, and discovered that had plastic wheels.  I finally discovered that I had a set that would work on my wooden clearance checker car, so robbed them for the searchlight. Here it is, finally finished and lit up.  The searchlight looks a little funny being so short, bu should go really well with the rest of my snow train


No comments: