Saturday, September 25, 2010

NTS&B Does the NTS&B like Post War Trains?

Sounds like a simple enough question. But the answer kept me busy all day on 2 switch tracks. Many post war operating cars have slide shoes that pick up power form an extra set of extra rails between the standard rails (yes that makes 5 rails). These shoes hand down a little between the tracks, and some brand of switch tracks will catch the shoes and try to pull them off. So far, I used all Gargraves 0-42 switch tracks, and Ross Switches for the bigger radius switches. After having many problems with modern engines with the Gargraves turnouts, I decided to try 2 Ross 0-42 switches. The Gargraves switches have all been repaired, and I have not had problems with post war shoes on the 4 postwar cars I tested, or with modern equipment.

The Ross 0-42 switches both had the 'pull off the shoe' feature. Per Ross, the postwar power pickup shoes catch on sharp points in the black rails in the switch. Their recommended fix is to taper black rails with a file, or insert track pins and bend them down like a ramp. I decided to use pins to reduce metal filings, but ended up having plenty anyway.

I also discovered an additional feature with the Ross switches. The power rollers on my post war trains are wider than the modern ones, and kept shorting out on the switches. Per Ross website, extra power rail was used to make it easier for them to supply power through the switch. The problem is, the rails are close enough to the ground rail that the wider roller creates a short circuit. I decided to insulate and cut the extra rail. Below are slides that showed where cuts had to be made to fix both problems.

Although I can't say for certain that all shoes and rollers will now work, I can say that the cars I tested now should work an my whole layout, except on the unmodified main line switches.

No comments: